Where can I buy a baby axolotl near London?

debadog

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I was really excited today to finally finally get my axolotl after my tank finished cycling last week...however after getting one home from my local store, I was disappointed to see that the leucistic I had had a really dirty speckled face, which I hadn't noticed in the store as it was so dark. This probably sounds really mean, but as I've been waiting so long and had the exact image in my mind of the one I wanted, I was really disappointed and ended up taking him back. Upon going back I realised that all of the leucies had speckled faces except one, who was missing both his front feet and had stubby gills.

I really have this image in my head of the leucie that I want which is like this

tumblr_inline_n03h230WiA1r577c9.jpg

and I don't like the ones at my local store. But I have no idea where I'm going to find leucistics elsewhere, its a total nightmare. Does anyone know anywhere in or around London that sells them?

The one that you liked but was missing some legs and had stumpy gills will heal under the right conditions. I had a wildtype that I bought in the same condition and now is huge - both front legs grown back and normal with frilly gills.

PS - as they age there coloration could change. You could buy the "perfect" one now but in a year or 2 could develop speckles.

The one that you liked but was missing some legs and had stumpy gills will heal under the right conditions. I had a wildtype that I bought in the same condition and now is huge - both front legs grown back and normal with frilly gills.

PS - as they age there coloration could change. You could buy the "perfect" one now but in a year or 2 could develop speckles.

I dont mind him developing some speckles (i think most leucies have them) but the ones in the store had seriously dirty brown faces! and the one with the missing feet had really light coloured gills and not the plush pink i'd been imagining.

I know that his feet will likely grow back but there is still a chance that they won't which concerns me, its good to know that they can develop fine though as I might have no choice! I just feel like its not a decision to be rushed if i'm not 100% happy with how it looks as i might have it for 10+ years!

I dont mind him developing some speckles (i think most leucies have them) but the ones in the store had seriously dirty brown faces! and the one with the missing feet had really light coloured gills and not the plush pink i'd been imagining.

I know that his feet will likely grow back but there is still a chance that they won't which concerns me, its good to know that they can develop fine though as I might have no choice! I just feel like its not a decision to be rushed if i'm not 100% happy with how it looks as i might have it for 10+ years!

I completely understand. Hopefully someone in your area will have some suggestions. I remember when I was looking for a wild type coloration I called every fish store within 100 miles of me once a week until a store finally got some in. They must have thought I was a crazy person. Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back