Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New axolotl owner

Joruus

Reaction score
Hello,

After reading a lot about axolotls (mostly on here) i finally got one last Thursday!
So i though i should introduce us here with some pictures and questions.

We named him/her Snow, since it's an albino and has white snowflakes on the tail.

In the store they didn't know its age, best guess they could give was 'less than half a year' can anyone make a closer guess for me? he/she is nearly 12 cm long.
And is it possible to tell its sex yet?

In the store (s)he was hiding in a corner not moving at all for the whole time i was there it seemed a bit sad, but then in its new aquarium (s)he sat still for a minute and then started exploring right away slowly checking out the hides and plants. :happy:

(s)he is very curious and always coming towards me when i approach the tank :love:

iIggxSv.jpg

JRZTnvf.jpg

7a2wJtD.jpg

qIIyFUC.jpg

Wysper

Reaction score
He or she looks very happy and inquisitive of his/her new home! Looks like a golden albino to me, but could be a trick of the lighting.

Very pretty new baby!!

Kenchi

Reaction score
Pretty sure it's a golden albino by the looks of the spots on its tail. Very cute, looks like its happy to be in a new home!

Joruus

Reaction score
I just gave him a worm and he seems to like that a whole lot more than the axolotl pellets i gave before.:happy:

lucius

Reaction score
he has a very nice looking new home, give him
a worm from me as well

Felixtacat

Reaction score
Very pretty! I would guess it's a male because of the little bump under the base of its tail, though i could be wrong. And I would say at 12cm he's probably a little younger than half a year, but it's hard to judge age by size. Pretty tank, too. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1