Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Air bubblers? Yay or nay?

Fadoodles

Reaction score

Hello!

I've read that when cycling a tank it is important to have oxygen in the water so that the bacteria can grow quicker. Also it's a good idea to have a source of oxygen for your axies in the tank that way they don't have to swim to the surface all the time to get air they need. So this bring me to my questions. Would it be wise to purchase an air bubbler to place in the tank? If so, what's a brand you would recommend for a 20 or 30 long tank? Would the current produced by the bubble stress the axolotls? Or is it really necessary to have a bubbler at all?

Thank you! :p

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
I have never cycled a tank using an air stone myself. Also, Axolotls get enough oxygen from the water and swimming to the surface is not an issue at all.

Some Axolotls like an air stone, some find the water movement stressful. One of my filters was creating too much current throughout the tank, which was increasing the availability of oxygen in the water which in turn caused my Axolotls fimbriae (feathers) to slowly disappear due to them no longer being needed for oxygen. Now I have stopped the water current flowing through the whole tank by attaching a sponge in front of the water output on the filter, now my Axolotls fimbriae are growing back!

Fadoodles

Reaction score
Thank you! That's what I was worried about is the bubbles causing the axies to get stressed. This was very helpful! Thank you again :)

tipnatee

Reaction score
Yay for me for bubbler unless your filter generates enough oxygen on their own then you might not need extra. I like putting bubbler up against the water currents to canceling the flow. For me, good water can't get enough of oxygen . I would also suggest if you worry about too much movement then using bubble wand instead of air stone cause bubbler wand ( especially flexible wand) will separate bubbles in to thin line and won't stress your axie, cause much less water movement.

Fadoodles

Reaction score
I've heard about bubble wands but never looked into them. I'll have to check those out! Thanks!

Luca1980

Reaction score
Hi Fadooles, what type of filter are you using in your tank? Often the filter is enough to generate water flow and therefore oxygen. Too much flow (by adding an airstone into the tank with a filter) may cause too much flow - therefore stressing out your axies and causing illness.

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
Bare in mind Axolotl tanks do not have to use filters. Oxygen is present and always available as long as it is at the right temperature. So air stones and/or filters are not necessarily needed for oxygen in the water. Filters are just an optimal way of keeping the tank clean, you can still cycle a tank without a filter.

Canecorsonewt

Reaction score
I have this little shrimp tank its a half gallon. Its fully cycled. No air stone or filter, I change 1 cup of water daily. It fully cycled with what you see in it. A handful of xmass/ java moss and 5 cherry shrimp, about once every two weeks I vacuum and do 20% water changes.

Attachments

• 20161122_060551.jpg
    20161122_060551.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 1,186

Fadoodles

Reaction score
More than likely I will be going with a fluval. If anything would cause the axolotls to stress out I won't use it.

Hoagii

Reaction score
When I was cycling my tank, I put in a sponge filter; it'sgood place for the good bacteria to grow, and the bubbles oxygenate the water. Since I also had a mechanical filter, I went a size down with my sponge (10g sponge and air pump for a 30g tank). I intended to take it out after the tank is cycled, but I ended up leaving it in there. My axolotl has not been bothered by the air flow at all. In fact, he sometimes sits on it and lets the bubbles flap his gills around.

In answering your question, I'd recommend an air pump. My axie did seem more comfortable with the water being oxygenated, and I think it did help my tank cycle faster (my previous attempt at cycling without a sponge filter did not work so well).

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
There is a lot of people who use air stones and sponge filters and a lot who don't. The general consensus is that Axolotls prefer still water. My tanks always cycle without issue with just submersible filters. If you really want a sponge filter for added bacterial colonies then go for it although tieing a sponge to your water output or anywhere else in your tank will colonise bacteria for your cycle all the same. Any Air stones are a keepers personal preference. Maybe try and air stone or sponge filter and then decide. But the only experience I can give is that extra water flow caused my Axolotls fimbriae to recede but after minimising the water flow by tieing a sponge infront of the water output the fimbriae are growing back nicely. I believe still water is ideal

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I used an air stone in my axolotl tank. It was not on all the time, but when it was they liked to place parts of them selves in the bubbles. When the adults where moved outside I used a solar powered aerator and when ever that was on, again they would place them selves in the bubbles. So a yay from me..

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I have plastic air flow valves on most of my aerators. Or use one aerator between two tanks with a little t shaped doodah ( not technical name, but the real one escapes me)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1