Impulse Axolotl / Questions

WilBor

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi, Today i went to my local pet store to go buy some used equipment, I noticed a plastic tub in the corner of all the aquariums and I could not believe there were 3 axolotls in there!(I've been to this pet store atleast 20+ times in 2 weeks)

One was missing a leg and 2 were too big for the tank, their water was also dirty and the current the filter was giving off was too strong. I couldn't leave them in that state but I only had enough money on me to buy one. I got one of the larger ones sort of like an impulse buy :p. I had several empty tanks and a 20 gallon thats completely setup and running for about 2 weeks because im scheduled to get 3 juvies from axolotl canada this coming monday! I figured that I might as well pop him in that tank for a while before the juvies come in then I'll relocate him into my fully stocked up 20 gal!

Hes been in there for about 7 hours and he looks really happy! While i was hand feeding him some frozen bloodworms I noticed that he only had 5 gills. Is this normal? or does every axolotl have 6? theres no stumps or anything? other than that he looks really happy and swims everywhere when he sees me!

(He's a wild morph, 6 inches counting the tail)

Also, How much should I feed him if he's 6 inches in length ? a whole cube of bloodworms? and how often? He seems to be eager to eat more out of my hand and walks over it when its on the sand.

Also, How much should I feed him if he's 6 inches in length ? a whole cube of bloodworms? and how often? He seems to be eager to eat more out of my hand and walks over it when its on the sand.

At that size I would be feeding earthworms. Cut up night crawlers into chunks. He won't be getting much nutrition from bloodworms at his size.

Do I need specific worms? Or can I buy from a bait shop? And how many worms per day would he need?

Do I need specific worms? Or can I buy from a bait shop? And how many worms per day would he need?

Most worms will work fine. Night crawlers are probably what you'll find at a bait shop and they work great. Some people also use red wrigglers but they can give off a bad odor when they're cut up or mad so some axolotls don't like them. At 6 in you could do a whole worm every other day. You want the head to be the same width as the body so feed more or less depending on how he looks. ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most worms will work fine. Night crawlers are probably what you'll find at a bait shop and they work great. Some people also use red wrigglers but they can give off a bad odor when they're cut up or mad so some axolotls don't like them. At 6 in you could do a whole worm every other day. You want the head to be the same width as the body so feed more or less depending on how he looks. ??

And I mean a whole night crawler. Some other types of worms are smaller but I only have experience with night crawlers. Good luck :)

I started a red wiggler colony for my axie but I'm just waiting for them to breed. I tried one with him though and he did eat it.

I use Canadian Night Crawlers - the reptile store near me gets them in for me. Big Als also sells them.

My axie is about 8" long and I do 2 night crawlers cut into chunks and I leave them in for two days. So, he's fed every other day and grazes on the chunks as he wants. If any chunks stop wiggling or start to look funny, I take them out so they don't dirty his water.

After 2 days, I toss anything he hasn't eaten and start again.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back