Fine sand problems? Stressed axolotl?

WilBor

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I recently moved my male axie to a diff tank to separate him from a female axie. Though I used a diff kind of sand, Aqua terra fine black sand. As soon as I acclimated him in there he was walking around for a few mins, I came back and hes just sitting on his little claypot. Hes been in that position for 4-6 hours now.. i tried tempting him with my hand, he would follow and as soon as I take my hand out he would retreat back to his claypot. There are no lights or anything. I also noticed that he sinks when he steps on the sand because the sand is really fine...

We had really fine sand too, I just found that sand is a nightmare because you can get bacterial blooms. I completely emptied my 5 foot tank out ? it was a nightmare but worth it.

He's probably just stressed from the move. Keep watch over him over the week. As long as he takes food after a week or so then I wouldn't worry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can get bacterial blooms irrelevant of whether you have sand or not, it's the nitrogen cycle at play. I highly doubt the sand is causing any stress. It's more likely the change of water which could cause your Axolotl to not behave normally.

I removed him from the tank, The sand was too light and was floating around the tank. It was getting on his gills and he kept scratching it with his hind legs when i removed him. He's in a shoebox right now with 100% water change every 12 hours. Should I wait for the sand to settle? it seems that the sand floats up everytime pressure is placed on it.

Fine sand can be disturbed easily, my Axolotl often ends up with sand on him but it has never been an issue. Can you post some pictures of your tank/sand and Axolotl ??

I replaced his sand, He's doing really well now! swimming like he used to! hes a very active one! thank you

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back