Hydra!!!

Holly12

Reaction score
Country
Canada
My axie tank has Hydra. Is this harmful for an adult axie? He's got some suite bumps on him and he doesn't use his cave thathe much anymore. He tends to sit in a corner or float in the leaves in one of the front top corners.
Could the hydra be stinging him or is he ok?

I can't get anything to eat the hydra, since he will eat everything. I could try a large mystery snail, but could he eat that? I think they are too big to fit in his mouth. They are pretty big.

He only other option is to take out caves and ornaments and scrub them when I find them. Won't get rid of them but may help.

Hydra are not harmful to adult Axolotls. So they aren't much of a problem unless the tank contains microorganisms or Axolotl larvae which Hydra do eat. I'd start by removing items the hydra is attached to and cleaning them thoroughly. Hopefully it is a small infestation which you can remove manually. Otherwise your looking at snails or emptying the tank to clean it out.

http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1173-advanced-newt-salamander-topics/f11-food-live-frozen-freeze-dried-pellets-etc/f20-live-food-general-discussion/71726-hydra.html

Hydra are not harmful to adult Axolotls. So they aren't much of a problem unless the tank contains microorganisms or Axolotl larvae which Hydra do eat. I'd start by removing items the hydra is attached to and cleaning them thoroughly. Hopefully it is a small infestation which you can remove manually. Otherwise your looking at snails or emptying the tank to clean it out.

http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1173-advanced-newt-salamander-topics/f11-food-live-frozen-freeze-dried-pellets-etc/f20-live-food-general-discussion/71726-hydra.html

I will take out his caves and scrub them in the dirty water change water, but what snails can safely go in the tank that he won't choke on or get constipated or eat the plants? I suspect the hydra are eating the Planaria and diatoms that I see swimming around.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back