Question: Cycling question

AmandaB

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi everybody! I started to cycle my tank (fish less cycle) on November 4th. I added all new sand, treated water, and have all my decorations and air stone up and running. I made sure to add pure ammonia to my tank to bring the levels up to 5ppm.

My question is, as of today, my reading is steady at 4ppm and hasn't changed. I'm wondering if it's normal to take this long? Is there anything I can do to help the process?

I was hoping to get a new axie before Christmas, but at this rate it won't be happening.

Thanks in advance :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you have a heater? Tanks will cycle quicker if they are kept at a constant 25 Celsius. Once the cycle is over you just take the heater out and let the temp drop for at least 24 hrs before adding your axie

Do you have a heater? Tanks will cycle quicker if they are kept at a constant 25 Celsius. Once the cycle is over you just take the heater out and let the temp drop for at least 24 hrs before adding your axie

I don't have a tank heater, but could I just raise the temp in the room? The tank is close to the room heater.

As long as you are able to keep it at 25 degrees. If the tank is too cold beneficial bacteria will start to die off before they have a chance to colonize

As long as you are able to keep it at 25 degrees. If the tank is too cold beneficial bacteria will start to die off before they have a chance to colonize

Awesome! Thank you! I will turn the heat up now and hope for the best!

No worries. I assume you are testing your water with the API test kit, which is the most reliable one you can get. If you still get no changes with your ammonia/nitrite/nitrate readings I would invest in a heater and thermometer for your tank. That is the best way to go.

And the other thing you can do is 'seed' your tank with décor, filter media etc from an already established tank - as long as it is a very reliable source to avoid introducing disease, pests etc into your tank

No worries. I assume you are testing your water with the API test kit, which is the most reliable one you can get. If you still get no changes with your ammonia/nitrite/nitrate readings I would invest in a heater and thermometer for your tank. That is the best way to go.

Yes I am using the liquid testing kit from api :) it's the best!

And the other thing you can do is 'seed' your tank with décor, filter media etc from an already established tank - as long as it is a very reliable source to avoid introducing disease, pests etc into your tank

I would, but everyone I talk to that I trust has never heard of tank cycling so I'm staying away from that haha! I'm happy to report that today I tested my water and my ammonia went down to 2ppm and my nitrites have started at 0.25ppm :) yay!! Things are happening in there! Thanks for the advise on the heater!

Any time! Glad things are heading in the right direction. In my experience the hardest part of cycling a new tank is having enough patience to wait for things to happen :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back