Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Should i put up a divider for my 2 axolotls

Thenanman13

Reaction score
I just purchased my first 2 axolotl's. Selena and Salvador yesterday. I have been reading on here and i have seen people say dont get the male and female. I was originally just going to buy one female but i thought she would need a friend. The breeder told me to get a male and female because they get along better. What are your thoughts? They are going in a 100 gallon tank

Attachments

• Screenshot_20161126-104741.jpg
    Screenshot_20161126-104741.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 201

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
Re: Should i put up a divider for my 2 axolotl's

Does not make a difference if they are male or female they all get along the same. Your Axolotls will likely breed, and too much breeding for a female can cause health issues and shorten life span. A divider is an option to separate and try prevent breeding, though the spermatophores from the males can sometimes still reach the female depending on the divider you get.

I myself would never keep a female with a male, not worth the hassle of separation, eggs and additional tanks for me.

CarysR

Reaction score
Re: Should i put up a divider for my 2 axolotl's

I have two year-old females and they get along perfect; I feed them three times a week and have never had any fighting.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
    Shane douglas: with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred... +1