Tank set-up suggestions

Rhys

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After having looked into Axolotls for a few months now, I am still struggling to determine the right direction to head in regarding my tank set-up. Most pages state basic/general terms when discussing items such as the filter, chillers, etc.

I was hoping someone would be able to help me find the best brand, or specific type of canister filter I should use.

This being my first tank setup and my first Axolotls, I really want to get it right the first time and ensure that my Axolotl isn't any trouble or distress due to my mistakes!

If anyone could suggest a couple of specific filters, chillers and any other extra tips/tricks (regarding a good substrate, hides, rocks, etc.) that work well for a 3 gallon tank holding two axolotls that would be fantastic! I just need a nudge in the right direction really!

Thanks,

Rhys

I presume you meant 30 gallons?

I prefer submersible filters. I use a Fluval U2 in my 60L tank which has worked flawlessly for over a year only needing basic maintenance which involved cleaning the impeller and rinsing the sponges in tank water once every few months. For a 30gal I would go for the Fluval U4 which will be able to filter your tank with no issue, just tie a sponge infornt of the water output to minimise the water flow in the tank.

U4 Underwater Filter | A480 | Filtration | Fluval

I'm not sure if you will need a chiller since you live in the UK, although it depends on whether you can control the heating in the room your tank is kept in in winter and keep the room well ventilated during the summer months. If you can afford a chiller go ahead as it is a much more consistent way of maintaining a consistent temperature. I have heard good things about Hailea.

Hailea Aquarium Chiller HC150A - Aquarium Chillers and Cooling Fans - Aquarium Equipment & Accessories - Aquarium Supplies

Fine sand is a recommended substrate, or a bare bottom tank. Sand is more aesthetically appealing though it will require slightly more maintenance. You can find fine sand at any aquatic/pet store. Be sure to rinse the sand before placing in your aquarium to remove all the dust and dirt which can cloud your tank and damage the filter. I place any new sand in a pillow case and then run water through it for up to 45 mins while mixing until the water coming from the bottom of the case runs clear. Also best to feed worms by hand when keeping on sand to prevent accidental ingestion and stops the sand being covered with old food, plus worms give the best nutrition. I use a Fluval Edge siphon to keep my tanks clean.

For all your worm and wormery needs - Bucket of Worms

EDGE Gravel Cleaner | 11057 | Maintenance | Fluval

Give this article a read on aquascaping, it holds lots of information on safe rocks, wood, plants, and substrate.

Axolotl Sanctuary

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back