Question: How to keep Earthworms/Nightcrawlers ALIVE for feeding?

WilBor

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I've recently gotten a hold of some live canadian nightcrawlers from a bait shop, pesticide free, I called the company ahead of time.

Anyway, I was wondering how you all keep your worms alive and thriving. My parents dont like worms in the fridge and I'd understand why lol. Its cold in my garage but i think its too cold. Probably around 0 to -10 celcius.

Any tips and suggestions are appreciated :)

Large plastic bins are good as containers. There are many guides online on how to farm earthworms. Canadian Nightcrawlers require a temperature between 4-10 degrees Celsius.

You could try insulating the plastic bin to prevent it getting too cold outside.

No idea. I keep them in the door of the fridge. I have frozen rats in my freezer next to my own food and all kinds of bugs in the fridge for our various animals.... people worry too much, lol.

I keep mine in the fridge. I also have a worm bin that I'm cultivating to grow my own. A dark, cool place like a basement if you have one. Just remember to add moisture to them once in a while. Someone left the lid off my store bought ones the other day and I had a bunch of very dry, unhappy worms.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back