Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Axolotl Hiccuping?

Kenchi

Reaction score
Hey there.

I've had my baby Kenchi since around October, and he's grown fast and has been doing great! I even bought him a new tank mate about 2 weeks ago, and their name is Momo.
Both have been doing fine so far, and no injuries or nips have occured so far.

Today, I cleaned out their tank and did about a 30-40% water change, rearranged their things and agitated the sand. I cleaned the filter and let the sand settle and water get to the right temp before adding them back in. I fed them as well before I changed the water.

Once I put Kenchi back into the water, he started to act weird. He looked like something was aggitating him, and he was thrashing around and swimming a bit before he finally settled down and started doing what I can only assume is hiccuping? At least that's the only way I can describe it. He keeps opening his mouth, sucking in air and closing it, or his little pouch under his chin keeps getting big (in jerks, like how we hiccup), and his whole body moves. He has seemed to finally gotten used to it after a few minutes, but I'm very concerned for him. Momo hasn't done it.

Is it because he took in too much air during feeding? I don't really know what else to do. I'm going to add some stress coat to the water and keep an eye on him. If anyone can help or give advice, please do.

CPL

Reaction score
Sounds like he is just hunting for food. This is how they behave when they are fed pellets or think they have found food.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1