Question: Food and organs

Trina

Reaction score
Country
United States
I read something recently on a different forum that someone said not to overfeed axolotyls as it will cause organ damage and shorten the lifespan. My guy eats about 4 cut up red worms a day and he's always hunting for more. He's kinda a messy eater :happy:

Attachments

• 20161207_213956.jpg
    20161207_213956.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 176
2 every other day would suffice depending on their size, take a picture of your Axolotl from above gives a better idea of weigh. Over feeding will just likely cause constipation and extra unneeded weight.

I've no idea how many months he is. He was 4 inches when I got him last month.

Attachments

• IMG_0082.jpg
    IMG_0082.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 130
Only 4 inches? He looks big there! But maybe it's just the picture :) If he's still in the 5-6 inch range feeding everyday is ok. He might be just a little on the chunky side if he's still a baby but he doesn't seem obese :) you could start trying to feed every other day soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They grow roughly an inch an month. So yeah, 4-7 inches you can do daily and then go to every other day after that. My guy is 8" and has been every other day for a while. About 1 cut up night crawler. He's still chubby.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back