Question: What's TOO cold?

Felixtacat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Felix
I recently saw something that said not to let your axolotls tank temp fall below 60 degrees? It was a fish food company's website so their information is probably not the most accurate, but my axies tank is 58 right now so I just wanted to double check. She still eats fine and her behaviors been pretty normal. :) thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

58F is fine. They are o.k. down to high 40 at least. They will eat less at that temp. I've had mine down to the 30's but would not recommend it for to long. The colder it is the less they eat.

I've had axolotl water freeze over many times, 58 is definitely not too cold.

16 to 18 is "perfect," but, mine sits between 14 and 16 because it's winter now, and I want it cooler because he's healing an injury. He just eats less and poops less now.

Thanks for the replies!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back