Question: Eco-complete question

Ryanne

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am setting up my tank which will house 1 maybe 2 axies. I want to have patches of live grass like carpeting so I bought some Carib Sea Eco-complete to put down in those areas. When I received it I noticed it is like gravel. Is it possible to put mesh or fish netting or something like that over it to keep the axies from eating it? Maybe cover the mesh with sand? At least until the grass is thick.

I'd be cautious with Carib Sea Eco-complete. Looking it over, it has calcium in it. Depending on how much is used, as well as other variables, it could cause the pH levels to rise. Looking around at other forums, this seems to be most present after initial use and *should* stabilize after a period of frequent water changes. Adding your axxie in this time isn't recommended. (That being said, if your water has a low pH, this may be desired.)

For covering it, after it's more stable, media bags,fish net, and pantyhose are recommended. Just covering it with sand can result in the substrate settling/redistributing in a fashion that causes some of it to surface; especially with cleaning.

I had something silimar with pvc under garages with mesh. I put have moss under mesh so it would grow threw and and plants in back ground. It turned out very nice but when I moved all plants and everything's no needed to be removed. I also let tank grow with guppies for 3 months before I put axies in.

Attachments

• IMG_0315.jpg
    IMG_0315.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_0516.jpg
    IMG_0516.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_0700.jpg
    IMG_0700.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 161
That would work out quite well!

And I'd like to apologize, I had envisioned mounds of soil, not a full base. That'll work plenty well!

(Cute axolotl btw!)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back