Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: I need some assistance before getting my first Axolotl...

necrotic vvolf

Reaction score
I've done my research, but I always love getting information from people with first hand experience. That being said, I have some general questions about owning Axolotls.

What size tank should I get for 2 Axolotls?
How often and how much do they generally eat?
Are they only cannibalistic 3inches or smaller?
How big do their hides need to be?
Do they need certain lighting or no lighting?
What are the best products for them?

Anything I've missed, please feel free to post.

Felixtacat

Reaction score
1. For two adult axolotls, a minimum of 30 gallons is best. Longer aquariums that have more "floor space" are better because axolotls spend the vast majority of their time on the bottom of the tank. Length and width are more important than height.

2. This can depend on a couple of things such as age and your water temp. In general though you can feed sub adults every or every other day, adults every other or once every 3 days, and babies should be fed at least once a day. They can eat less in cooler temps. As long as their head is roughy the same width as their body though, you should be good.

3. If the size difference is big enough, axolotls of any size or age can be cannibalistic. Babies tend to be a bit more prone to cannibalism than adults sometimes.

4. When they're fully grown, you might need bigger hides than you expected :) Some good hides are PVC pipes that are around 4 inches in diameter, or large Tupperware containers flipped upside down with a hole cut in the side. My axolotls favorite hide is a terra cotta pot with a U-shaped entrance hole cut out of the side of the top, and then flipped upside down so it makes a very secluded little cave. (I used a grinder but a hammer will work too, it'll be more likely to break though) A lot of people just put the pot on its side but my axolotl never used it like that. At first, I got the second smallest size of terra cotta pot, but eventually I had to get a size up because the other one got too cramped for her.

5. They don't need any special lighting. You can use a light if you'd like, just make sure it isn't too bright and that it's not on all the time. Axolotls prefer it dim since they don't have any eyelids.

6. Sorry, this ones a little vague to me, though. Do you mean like what filters are best, or what dechlorinator, or what accessories like air stones, etc. Lol, sorry I couldn't be better help on this one!

Anything else you'd like answered, just ask :)??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

necrotic vvolf

Reaction score
Yes, filters, dechlorinators, substrate, etc. Sorry about the vagueness lol
And thank you so much for helping me out!

Also, would I be able to use like Betta water? Or would I have to use something else? I don't give my cats or snakes tap water, so I definitely won't submerge any aquatic animals in tap water lol

Felixtacat

Reaction score
Personally, I've only used canister filters and I think they're best. Unfortunately they are more expensive and quite tedious to clean. If you get a spray bar attachment and point it towards the glass, there's very little current in the tank, which is great for axolotls since they like slow moving water. Some people use sponge filters because they're cheap, simple, and create very little current. But they usually aren't very powerful at all, and wouldn't provide enough filtration for an adult axolotl. Hang on back filters are another option, they're easy to clean and brands like the Aqua Clear's have good filtration, only problem is that most of them create too much current. Something else is that if your power every goes out, or you forget to plug the filter back in, canister filters can go a lot longer without losing any beneficial bacteria since the bacteria is always covered with water. Of course any filter type can work, this is just my two cents :)

I use seachem prime for my dechlorinator, since it also detoxifies ammonia for 24 hours. (Just remember that detoxifies doesn't mean get rid of :) However, pretty much any dechlorinator will work.

Sand is a good option for substrate, as long as it's pretty fine grain and not sharp. I've only used sand, and it's great beside the fact that it's a bit of a pain to clean. My siphon always sucks the sand up too when I'm trying to clean the bottom of the tank. Bare bottom can also be used, but some people say it stresses the axolotls since their feet can't get a grip on the slippery glass when they're moving. You can also try getting some slate tiles, cutting them to size and using silicone to secure them in place. This makes it really easy to clean, just like bare bottom, but still gives the axolotls something to grip on.

I personally would just use dechlorinated tap water, unless your water isn't safe to drink or something. Betta water and bottled water tend to be either really soft or Reverse osmosis water, which isn't good for axolotls. Spring water could possibly be used, but you'd need so much for water changes, and the fact that the parameters of spring water can change drastically between bottles, I would just stick with tap water. :)

Last edited:

necrotic vvolf

Reaction score
This definitely helped me a lot!
I'm not getting my axolotls until I have everything for them, I've rushed into getting animals before and it was horrible because I was so ill prepared. That was with my first snake, but since then I've learned a lot via forums and vets. That snake is still alive btw. He's my favourite one because he caused me to become heavily interested in herpetology. The main misconception I fell for was the heat lamp, only to later find out that even UVA/UVB lights stress them out despite it being low light.

I only have one more question (that I can think of right now). What is the average life span in captivity, when properly taken care of, etc.?
I couldn't find anything online that mentioned life span. >.<

Felixtacat

Reaction score
Though I can't speak from experience, I have heard the average lifespan in captivity is around 10 years if well cared for. However, I remember seeing a post about someone who had an axolotl that was supposedly 25!

Holly12

Reaction score
My herp vets' husband did surgery on a 25 year old axie! Crazy!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1