Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Please Help-Starving Axolotl

onyx2011

Reaction score
I rechecked the calendar, and it hasn't been 3 weeks, but two weeks since Tabi has eaten. Which is awful, but not as bad as I had thought. He won't eat. I'm 76% sure he has intestinal parasites of some kind?

He's 4.5-5 inches, I am not comfortable with force-feeding in the first place, and all past posts about said subject said small axolotls are not good subjects.

His breeder fed him bloodworms, and I've been feeding him small garden worms. He stopped eating, and is now in a small circular tub. I mention it's shape as he doesn't seem to notice walls, and just swims in one direction as if they don't exist.

One user who has been generously working with me and Tabi mailed us pellets, but Tabi isn't interested in those either.

Really hoping for a Christmas miracle here :(

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

xxianxx

Reaction score
Not eating is often a sign that the environmental conditions are substandard. What is the temp and your water change routine ?

onyx2011

Reaction score
60-66° is my room temperature, due to bad insulation, my personal preference, and the winter season. Tabi is in a tub of water that's changed every single day, so water parameters are not the issue

onyx2011

Reaction score
0253c1dda2f1e60d71be98c72a0ef3e0.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1