Not eating

Lellie

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi everyone I’m brand new to this forum. I need help. I’m having problems with my Axolotl, named Winter. She’s not eating. Her last feed was about 6/7 days ago.
I got Winter from a pet shop on Nov 3rd of this year I’ve only had her for just over a month. I’m not sure how old she is though. Shes in a two foot tank with a Fluval C2 filter and I even have a Chiller going for her the temp is set at 18 degrees Celsius. I live in Western Australia and we are starting Summer now so I wanted her to be comfortable hence the chiller.
As for food, I feed her a mix of worms that I farm myself, I setup a worm farm just for Winter, and I also feed her the frozen Axolotl fuel food.
She was tiny when I got her and still is but I fear she’s deteriorating. She’s had issues with eating since I’ve got her she used to throw up her food etc but that stopped a little when I introduced the worms. Now nothing. I’m worried.

20161201_184054_zpsqjbfhhat.jpg

20161201_184025_zpst77uohxg.jpg

Hey Lellie, sorry to hear about your little friend. One of my axies is also off his food and hasn't eaten in about 3 weeks now. I have posted about it but no-one has replied :( It seems to be common among axies, judging by how many posts there are about the same issue, but I am yet to find a solution unfortunately.

I feed my guys frozen blood worms, freeze dried black worms, the axie cubes you mentioned as well as hikari jumbo carnivore sticks. You could try some of these and see if they work. If I find any more ideas online I will post them here for you. There is a thread on here about force feeding axolotls who won't eat, but that doesn't really sit right with me and is something I am not going to try. Maybe we just need to let nature take its course and see what happens, in the meantime keeping our axies in the best environments we can (I have a chiller for my tank as well).

Anyway, sorry I couldn't really be of any help, but you do have my moral support! Keep us updated about the progress of your little mate - I hope she gets her appetite back soon.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back