Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sand Grain Size

awesomekitcat

Reaction score
I'm new to axie keeping and I'm having trouble finding an answer to this for some reason. If sand is being used as a substrate, at what grain size does it risk being harmful to the axies?

Meerna

Reaction score
It depends on the size of the axie. A very small young axie can still get sand impacted if swallowed, but a larger axie can pass it without much problem. Do make sure it isn't sharp as well though, some sand can be.

Canecorsonewt

Reaction score
Don't know if it makes a difference but I have newts. I use fresh water caribsea super natural aquarium sand, I have raised a few larvae and juvenile on it with no problems. I have 4 larvae in my cycled shrimp tank right now, It has sand Caribsea sand they have been in there since I found them in mom and dad's aquarium that has sand to. They've been thriving in my shrimp tank for over a month now. Pretty sure they only have one size it's very small, I've seen juvenile newts under a inch spit it out when eating.

Meerna

Reaction score
Another thing you can do is feed on a dish or plate of some sort, to minimize the possibility of sand being swallowed in the first place.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1