Illness/Sickness: Broken leg and protruding bone

xkelpiex

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Came home to Merlin with a broken keg and what looks like his bone protruding. What the hell am I supposed to do? Will it fall off naturally and regrow? Do I need to bath him in something? Any advice? Freaking out right now. I removed what I think is the culprit. A decorative coral/rock thing he likes to hide in. I think he banged around in there and this happened. I feel awful.

ETA: IAM very confused right now because he is moving the leg just fine?

Attachments

• IMG_20170102_201009.jpg
    IMG_20170102_201009.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 10,055
  • IMG_20170102_200920.jpg
    IMG_20170102_200920.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 3,049
Wow, I've never seen this!!! I'd ask a vet! I would be worried that with an open fracture, as with humans, infection will set in.

At this point I am now not so sure it's a fracture but maybe a growth? He's walking around fine it's so strange. But it's bright red at the spot so I thought it was bloody... I'm so confused. I want so badly to take him to the vet but I am embarrassed to say I have literally four dollars in my account right now until the fifteenth. I would usually be able to take him in a flash but January is a bad month for me every year.

UPDATE: (I can't figure out how to edit the first post not on mobile) It is not protruding bone or abscess. It is hanging flesh. He scraped himself real good. He likes to hide in one of the cavey corals, but I think he's gotten a little big for it now so it has been removed. I will buy something rounded and smooth for him to hide in later. Poor baby. My question now is: Do I leave that piece if flesh to fall off on it's own? Should I bath him in something like salt or tea? What can I do to help my little guy out?

Just leave him for now but do 10-15% water changes every single day for at least a week. Axies are incredibly resilient and often super clean water and their own immune systems are enough. Keep the tank really clean and make sure he keeps eating. If it is still looking dodgy by the 15th when you get paid, take him to a vet.

Keep the water params pristine and keep the water cool. He should be fine. If you can find Indian almond leaves, you can add them to the tank. They have antibacterial/antifungal properties.

I feel you with the no money!

My guy actually has the bones of his toes exposed from rough substrate. I changed it to a super soft sand and added the leaves to stop infections and he's been fine. I'm hoping the toes heal. They aren't any worse at least.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back