Question: Any luck with lighting?

Nkalda95

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey guys, we've had our axolotl Robert for a few months now and have had NO luck finding a good light for the tank that doesn't distress our little guy. LED, blue lights, and fluorescents have all had the same effect, he runs around frantically trying to find hiding spaces and I worry about him getting injured. Does anybody have a suggestion for a light source that has agreed with their pet? I would stop trying, except we have live plants in the tank that need the light to survive. Any advice is appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_2896.jpg
    IMG_2896.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 154
The plants are secondary to your axie's comfort. I say, ditch the live plants, get some plastic ones, and go without the over tank light.

Agreed; if you really want live plants in there, it's better to find something that's hardy enough to survive in low light and cold temperatures.

I agree.. but he's really taken a liking to the live plants in his tank, spending most of his time laying in or around them rather than the fake plants that he has as well. I would like to try another option that has worked for others before needing to remove them. He is currently without any lighting.

It looks like I'll have to see what live plants can survive in his living conditions. He'd be so sad if they went :(

Vallisnera, java fern and anubias do well in low light.

I have a planted tank with this light:

Fluval Eco Bright LED Light 38-61cm 6W

The brightness is fully adjustable via remote and both the plants and my 5 axies are doing well.

I also have large caves for them to hide if they want complete darkness.

Luca1980 Thank you!! Very helpful, I'll look into these options :)

No worries! Its a great light, fully adjustable as I said and my axies seem really happy. They love their live plants too and I understand why you don't want to get rid of them :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back