Question: Tank cover

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm about to get my first axolotl, since my tank is finally cycled, and I was going to get a sort of reptile screen cover that's corrosion proof and opens horizontally for feeding and water changes, and then cut off a small section for my filter tubes. Will that work?

IMG_7801.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did the same thing for a lid- used a terrarium lid with a section cut out for the filter. I found that within a month it was rusting. I have ordered some plastic netting and plan on doing a DIY lid with supplies from the hardware store. Google DIY aquarium kids or check out Bulk Reef Supply for their netting or kits
Hope that helps!

They have plactic screen lids/cover at Walmart, think i bought one for $6. I take the lid off for feeding but it does have two holes on top about 3"diameter for feeding with removable covers. I also have a metal screen zilla cover, have had it for about six months with no rust but i only cut a small hole in the screen. I guess if you cut big holes or the metal frame it might rust. But you could repaint it after you cut it with rustoleum paint it is supposed to prevent rust.

Attachments

• 1485033718900784573121.jpg
    1485033718900784573121.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 182
  • 14850338373241703239255.jpg
    14850338373241703239255.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 193
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back