Illness/Sickness: Best Treatment For Recent Amputee

Flotsam

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Flotsam
Hi All,

I am very new to this forum. This post originated as a reply to the Salt Bath Tutorial but I noticed one of older posts said to start a new thread.

My axolotl was attacked by his tankmate. The front leg from the elbow down was degloved and dangling. It developed a red spot just above the elbow. I snipped the arm just above the red spot and he spent six days in the fridge with 100% water changes daily.

After not seeing any signs of redness or inflammation, I returned him to a clean tank and continue with 50% water changes (and turkey basting) daily. He is active and eating.

I've attached a couple pictures so you can see what I'm dealing with here. Have a look.

My questions are as follows:

1) Did I take him out of the fridge too soon?
2) Do axolotls get pressure sores? He does try to walk and rest on it.
3) OR does this look like the beginning of an infection/fungus/something I don't know?
4) Would a salt bath be beneficial? If so, what strength is recommended for this problem?
5) If done at 12 hour intervals, how many baths should I give?

I hope that's not too many questions
I would really appreciate some feedback.

Kind Regards,

Flotsam

Attachments

• 16237425_10153670664404364_1839339302_n.jpg
    16237425_10153670664404364_1839339302_n.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 211
  • 16237961_10153670665649364_1691154716_n.jpg
    16237961_10153670665649364_1691154716_n.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 180
As long as he hasn't got fungus or anything you shouldn't be doing anything to him other than keeping his water clean and testing it regularly.

Salt baths are for severe fungal infections, not amputations.

If you keep the water clean and check it regularly you won't have any problems x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's okay! :) x I hope his leg grows back.

I have two rescues who came to me together, the one axolotl Nina loves to bite legs off. It's nothing to do with hunger anymore - it probably used to be from her old owner as Norris the other one came to me as skin and bone, with no legs. I think she must be psychologically scarred or something because as soon as she's with another axolotl, give it a week and she'll bite someone's leg off or tear it to shreds. So now she lives a life in the same tank, just with a glass divider down it separating her off lol!

But most people say limb biting is because they're hungry.

Norris' legs have all grown back and I did nothing special except kept the water super clean and really kept an eye on it. One leg has grown back a little short, and one leg has grown a fully formed additional hand haha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back