Question: Light and Axies

georgiarh10

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Display Name
Georgia
I know that axolotls don't have eyelids and as such don't enjoy lights that are too bright, but do they NEED light? I am asking because in order to keep the room my tank will be in cool I will have to keep the curtains closed all the time.

Do axolotls need some sort of UV light in their tank or can they do without light whatsoever? My tank is an ex-reptile set-up with fluorescents built-in to the hood so a light set-up would be no problem. I worry that the lack of sunlight will be detrimental to my babies though... :sick:

Let me know what you guys think!

They can do without light whatsoever in terms of direct light, the issue is what kind of plants you have in your tank, some of them do need light. X but axolotls don't need any at all really. In the day with the curtains shut the room won't be pitch black still anyway x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last summer it was quite warn here, and I left the curtains closed all day to help keep the temperature down. The plants didn't do too well, so I moved them to another tank in a different room for a while, but the axolotls were fine.
Axolotls don't need light, but keeping the curtains closed will work wonders for keeping the temperature down, which is important to your axolotls, so you are doing the right thing.

Thanks so much for your advice guys, I feel a lot better!
This forum just keeps on giving :tongue:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back