Water chemistry and shedding behaviour ?

MN99

Reaction score
Country
United Nations
Hi,

I have an elderly (30+ yr old) Cynops ensicauda. He lives in a 30 gal tank with about 4-5 inches of water. I keep the tank cleaned with a turkey baster but have been doing this less frequently recently because I think with that little amount of water I end up removing too much and I think the water changes are possibly causing my newt to shed his skin every time I do them! The problem is that the water in the tank is extremely alkaline (I think the rocks in the tank cause this alkalinity) whereas the tap water (well water) is neutral with pH of about 7. Is there something I can add to the water to make it more alkaline? I used to keep fish (a LONG time ago) and there was some product you could add to the water to change the water chemistry but I have forgotten the name of it. Can anyone help? Thank-you!

I honestly haven't heard of ph affecting the shedding of skin, but most don't recommend chemicals with caudates. I would say maybe adding an airstone if you wanted to raise it. I've read that a lot of aeration in water will raise ph over time. Maybe the hardness or softness of the well water may be affecting things?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back