Skinny Axolotl

Woollybear

Reaction score
Country
United States
She has good appetite, but is losing weight at alarming rate. She eats earth worms, blood worms, salmon pellets. Any ideas what is wrong with her? She has no obvious sign of disease, her tankmate is healthy, and the water is clean. I am worried about her :(

Please could you try to post some pictures of your axolotl as this will be very helpful.
What are your water parameters? Are there any other symptoms or signs of stress?
When did your axolotl start to lose weight? Have there been any changes in behaviour?
I'm not very experienced with axolotls, bt the more information and pictures that you can provide the quicker the experienced people will be able to offer you advice and help you and your axolotl.
Best of luck and I hope that we can help you to resolve any problems.

I will try to get a picture of her tonight after work, but some things I thought might be bothering her were warm water (maxed out at 74 F), temperature that fluctuated too much, or a different filter on the tank putting out too much current despite a baffle. People seem to report loss of appetite with stress though, and she certainly wants to eat.

Hi,
I know this is an old thread, but my axolotl is having the same problem. There are two other axies in the same tank that are doing fine. Did you ever figure out what was wrong/how to treat it?

Can you post pictures of your axolotl, Alex?

I am not sure how to upload pictures, so here are the links to them.

https://imgur.com/mbWAiXn
https://imgur.com/eo5pt4R

he seems to be having a little difficulty swallowing his food, but he has no lack of appetite. I gave him a small piece of worm today and he spent a while moving it back and forth in his mouth.
His two tank mates and the two other axies I have are all on the same feeding schedule and are perfectly healthy.

Hey Alex can you please provide your water parameters for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, as well as water temp? And what is your feeding schedule (what you feed and how often). All this info will help :)
If you could also attach a pic of your other axolotls so we can have a point of comparison.
Did he end up eating the worm you gave him today?

Umm, hi I have an axolotl with the exact same issue, he is extremely skinny compared to the other one who I got at the same time as him. Fillet, his name, is SUPER thin and has skinny legs and missing the top fin. The other one, Wawa is fat , which I heard isn't bad, and nearly 3x fillet's width although only a little longer . . . they are both still juveniles, an I got them in February. Is this a common issue? Or normal? I feed them pellets, and clean the tank around every 8 days. :dizzy::dizzy::confused:

My axolotl looks just like Alex's, but maybe a little thinner on the legs and a little more gills. Is he starving or is it a fungus/diereses?

Hey AKCA, try and post a pic of them so we can see. If there is a big size difference you may want to keep them separate as the bigger one will often bite the smaller. Post your tank parameters too. What are you feeding them, and how often? You may want to feed more to your smaller one.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back