New Tank: Feedback Please

TooFastSpindash

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Izzy
Hello all!

Well this is my first real post on the website and i just wanted to get some feedback on my tank. My axolotl is fully grown and he was when i got him. His name is Abel and he is a real cutie. I brought him with me from my home to college because I like having a companion. When I frst got him, his previous owner also gave me a tank rocks plants a filter and everything you need. When i got to college i wanted to give him a tank that i personally set up.I wanted to get other opinions on if i should change things or take things out.

He has two tank mates named Cove and Rodey (and no not after WarMachine lol). Cove is a moss ball and Rodey is a cleaner snail.

This new tank has a light that i can turn on and off and i make sure to give him about 20 mins of light a day and like to turn the light on when i feed him so he can see things better because i know how their eyesight is. The left side has more plants just in case he is feeling like he wants to be hidden and the right side just in case he doesn't feel that way. I have the tank by a window which i keep open during the middle of the day when there isnt strong sun so he never gets direct sunlight.I keep the tank at a good 20 degress C. Sometimes the temperature fluctuates a bit but not too often.

He has been in the new tank for four days and i was worried at first because he mostly stayed in the back corners and I was a little worried. But today he has been swimming and exploring all around. So yeah, any and all feedback is welcome and much appreciated.

Attachments

• Tank (Light On).jpg
    Tank (Light On).jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 247
  • Tank (Light Off).jpg
    Tank (Light Off).jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 174
  • Abel Glamour Shot.jpg
    Abel Glamour Shot.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 189
Hi :)

The tank looks very pretty, but unfortunately there is a problem.

The substrate is not recommended for axolotl. When axolotl feed, they gulp in their food... and just about anything that is in the area. The gravel will be accidentally swallowed and may well cause life threatening impaction. You could instead use regular playsand, this will need to be very well rinsed first. Alternatively you could just have a bare bottomed tank.

There is a link below that are well worth reading.

Axolotls - Housing in Captivity

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back