Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Help with Substrate.

OasisAxolotl

Reaction score
Hi everyone. ? I'm new to the forum. And I just got my Axolotl named Oasis couple weeks ago. Currently I have a bare bottom. But I have some gravel, and I know gravel is not recommended, because of the digesting and what not. But when I feed him, I take him out of his tank and put him in a smaller bowl so it's easier for me to clean his tank. If I do that would it be okay if I use gravel?

eglochk

Reaction score
While it is likely that your axie will learn when it's feeding time, I personally wouldn't want to risk it (despite being deeply loved, they can be pretty bone headed). If you haven't already, you'll quickly grow attached to Oasis and will feel quite silly having an impacted gut from a bit of gravel. Simply not worth it.

On the note of moving to a new container for feeding/cleaning, it sounds like Oasis is either being handled too much (you wouldn't handle a fish as often; it's not a dog), or not being fed enough (presuming cleanings are happening once a week).

Get rid of that gravel ASAP. If you want something on the bottom, you can use play sand or pool filter sand (both need to be thoroughly cleaned.) That being said, you don't need anything on the bottom; my friend has a few happy axolotls in bare bottom tanks.

Cloppy

Reaction score
I second that, it is to much of a risk and they can and will live a prosperous life in a bare bottom.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!