Illness/Sickness: Poorly axolotl, help!!!

GillyStubbs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had two axolotls for approx. 1 year now and they have been fine until recently. In December they laid eggs and unfortunately none of them survived a few weeks as I was completely unequipped to care for them properly! But they have been happy and healthy until this month..

I'm really concerned the male has got tumours and/or fungus?? (pictures of the male and tank set up attached)

He has lumps on his tail, one on his back leg and possibly under his chin too - does anyone have any ideas what they might be?? They have been getting worse over the last few months, but he's always been much 'lumpier' than the female, so I assumed it was just him maturing, growing male appendages etc... but now I'm worried!

Both axolotls have been refusing food (very unusual!) for around 5 days now!!!!

I have checked the nitrates and the test was fine - are there any other tests I should do?! I have done a 1/4 water change in the last week which doesn't seem to have made much of a difference. They have a Fluval 106 filter which I have recently changed the carbon on, and I clean out the bits inside on a regular basis. The female's gills are a little less fluffy than usual, but the male's gills look like they always have done. They aren't going up for air any more than usual, but they are a little less active...

Please, if you have any suggestions of what I should do to help him (and her if it's a tank problem) I would be so grateful! :confused:

THANK YOU

Attachments

• 5A5FA862-F17C-4524-8289-673D76DDFF11.jpg
    5A5FA862-F17C-4524-8289-673D76DDFF11.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 177
  • 470A1492-366D-4064-8E18-42A7D0EBDD05.jpg
    470A1492-366D-4064-8E18-42A7D0EBDD05.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 159
  • 8985B563-6546-4E78-9DB5-B367DF8C8F8A.jpg
    8985B563-6546-4E78-9DB5-B367DF8C8F8A.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 233
  • BF77C3B4-B458-4114-92FA-2E25E774218A.jpg
    BF77C3B4-B458-4114-92FA-2E25E774218A.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 228
  • E240E906-87E0-4C2B-AEF8-65FC0612DDB7.jpg
    E240E906-87E0-4C2B-AEF8-65FC0612DDB7.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 153
  • E671AC76-3380-40F0-9A83-6A33D6C0AE80.jpg
    E671AC76-3380-40F0-9A83-6A33D6C0AE80.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 271
Hi there.
Don't panic.
Please could you post your water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, temperature)
Your tank set up looks fine, nice set up, sand substrate, hide, etc.
As for the white spots on your axolotl, what do they look like as I can't really tell from the pictures. Are the white bits flat, raised, fluffy, smooth? It is possible that he is just get more markings as he is getting older. Fungus would look fluffy, like cotton wool. The more experienced keepers and breeders will probably be able to tell from the pictures.
He is a bit lumpy under his chin, but again, that might just be him maturing, but I can't tell.
As for feeding, what do you normally feed them and what is their usual routine?
If there has been a problem with water (quality of temperature) recently they may have gone off their food, which is why it is important for us to look at the water parameters first. Axolotls can go a few weeks without food, and yours look to be a good size/shape. I shouldn't imagine that they would be loosing weight yet.
Let's start with water parameter results and go from there.

Axo need very plant! The best is egeria densa.
And do micosi treatment.

I hate to say it but I lost my female axolotl yesterday - the one that was perfectly healthy and I wasn't at all worried about...I am absolutely devastated and I just can't work out why!!!!

I'm concerned there was an ammonia spike or something similar but the day before I had checked the water and the parameters were all within normal range (I'm at work so can't give specifics right now!)

The lumpy male is in the fridge but totally out of it, keeps rolling over onto his side and I'm so scared I will lose him too - what do I do? I'm desperate to keep him alive

He's still alive I've just got home!

Attachments

• IMG_8179.jpg
    IMG_8179.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_8181.jpg
    IMG_8181.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 116
So sorry for your loss. :-(

I am unsure what could be going on with your guys.

My boy has now passed away too. If anyone has any idea what on earth happened to my babes i would be so grateful- I am completely heart broken and am determined not to have an axolotl again as I can't cope with losing them.

You mentioned a 1/4 water change didn't do anything.. I am curious.

How often did you do 50% or better water changes?

I would do a 50% water change every other week and smaller ones in between when I got a chance...

Ok. I apologize. The way you stated it sounded like the 1/4 water change was done as a last resort, making it seem like you didn't do water changes that often.

I know I do minimum 50% change on my tanks 1-2 times a week, and 100% changes every other week.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back