Super freaky bug things found in my axis tank?!?!

Mewtwo

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Mewtwo
Okay so about a week ago I bought some real plants for my axie tank, then today I came home and found these SUPER CREEPY BUGS!!! WHAT IS THIS?! Oh my god it's like a spider looking thing with eyes and...EUCK!:errr::eek::(
Are these dangerous?! I scooped them out and they're so creepy!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 323
It sure looks like a shrimp. Should not be harmful for your axie. I would guess that your axie might eat it though.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk Pro

Totally harmless, wonderful creatures which would be beneficial in any tank other than with things they want to eat them. They feed on detritus, algae and tiny bits of organic material. Watch them feeding with their frontfeet picking at the substrate.

It is called a Ghost Shrimp. Many people keep them in their axie tanks to help with cleaning. As an added bonus, the axis will eventually eat them as a tasty snack.

Totally harmless. I would put it back in the tank.

Will the shrimp eat the waste that is around the tank? no the poop but old food i've missed.
I currently have 4 axoes in a tank while i get the other tank going, so i have a lot of waste products to keep up with.

AW: Re: Super freaky bug things found in my axis tank?!?!

Will the shrimp eat the waste that is around the tank? no the poop but old food i've missed.
Yes, they eat the waste, algae, old food etc. and even the poop. They can not do miracles but a tank with shrimps is always a bit cleaner than one without shrimps.
Some information can be found here: Ghost Shrimp | Care & Breeding - AqauriumInfo
In my opinion those are interesting little creatures and watching them can be really fascinating.

Yep, ghost shrimp. Good little helpers, and a nice snack for the axie if it's big enough to eat it.

Sweet, I will get some the next time I see them.

Oh, that's so cool! For anyone with experience keeping ghost shrimp, does having a few mean you'd need a bigger tank, like when you're stocking a dash tank more heavily? The plan is a long 20 gal with one axolotl, would that be enough room in your opinion to add in some ghost shrimp?

Sorry if this is an obvious question, I'm just now starting out! ? Thank you for your time

Oh, that's so cool! For anyone with experience keeping ghost shrimp, does having a few mean you'd need a bigger tank, like when you're stocking a dash tank more heavily? The plan is a long 20 gal with one axolotl, would that be enough room in your opinion to add in some ghost shrimp?

Sorry if this is an obvious question, I'm just now starting out! ? Thank you for your time
Yes thats prefect. I have about 17 in my 40 gallon breeder.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Okay, great! ? I'll be sure to snag a few then!

Nope, shrimp of that size don't add much of any bioload to a tank...I keep and breed freshwater ornamentals (cherry shrimp) and plan to feed color culls to my axols once I get them home.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back