Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New to axolotls

Kurenai

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to axolotls and I am hoping to keep one. I have some questions and I am sorry if they are dumb, I am hoping to learn tons before getting my axie.

I currently have a 20G tall (standard 20G from Petsmart) just sitting empty in my garage. Would I be able to keep an axolotl in there? I do have a 10G but it has no lid. We are planning on moving within a year or two and I know it takes axolotls awhile to reach maturity. I want to start off with a smaller axotlotl, maybe around 3-5"? Would he be okay in the 20G for a year? I am getting the spare room in my garage this summer so I am going to try to get ahold of a 20 long. My petsmart unfortunately doesn't sell 20 long tanks. I have 2 AquaClear 20s right now left over from my goldfish, but I can maybe order a sponge filter. Would that be better than the Aquaclear?

It also gets a bit hot here in the summer. We have an air conditioner that can bring the room down to I think 23C. Is there a place to buy good fans for axolotls? I want one just in case.

For food, I know earthworms are the best but I feel kind of bad just cutting them up, even though they can't feel pain. Is there a place to order good nightcrawlers? I have some bloodworms and brineshrimp too, for some variety. Is there anything special I need to care for the nightcrawlers? Special food or substrate?

I know axolotls are quite messy so I will try to do at least 50% every 5 days. I do that with my goldfish too, so I'll do both tanks at the same time.

Thanks for reading! I'm trying to do as much research as I can because I love them and I hope to provide a good home for them.

eglochk

Reaction score
I currently have a 20G tall (standard 20G from Petsmart) just sitting empty in my garage. Would I be able to keep an axolotl in there? ... I want to start off with a smaller axotlotl, maybe around 3-5"? Would he be okay in the 20G for a year?
Yes, you can get by with a 20 gallon tall aquarium. The 20 gallon long is a somewhat better option as you get a few extra inches of length.

I have 2 AquaClear 20s right now left over from my goldfish, but I can maybe order a sponge filter. Would that be better than the Aquaclear?
Generally speaking, the aqua clears will do the job. That being said, be read to disperse the water flow if your young axie gets bothered by the flow from the return.

It also gets a bit hot here in the summer. We have an air conditioner that can bring the room down to I think 23C. Is there a place to buy good fans for axolotls?
Unfortunately, I've no experience in fans for dropping aquarium temperatures so I cannot accurately advise. Hopefully someone else can chime in on this.

For food, I know earthworms are the best but I feel kind of bad just cutting them up, even though they can't feel pain. Is there a place to order good nightcrawlers? I have some bloodworms and brineshrimp too, for some variety. Is there anything special I need to care for the nightcrawlers? Special food or substrate?
Uncle Jim's Worm Farm has supplied me with red wigglers; have no complaints. (They also sell on Amazon.) It's presumed their night crawlers will be good as well. If you fill out your country, a Google search can be done to check for your area.
In regards to care, I did a quick search and found this site. It sounds like they are more temperamental, for farming, than red wigglers. Might want to look into reds instead.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!