Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Greetings from new york

Jazzy says yarr

Reaction score
Hello there!

My name is Justina, and my fiance Ej and I have recently become the proud keepers of an axolotl weve named Oliver.

Iv personally had a life long love of nature, specifically fish and amphibians. I was one of those kids that lived outdoors, in creeks and ponds, lakes and rivers, just picking up anything and everything to study it. Im a little more tactful now, and observe more than I interact; promise ✌ In school, i used to write papers on amphibians and how sensitive they were to pollutants leaking into their ecosystems, causing mass deformities. A love of biology and cell study has since blossomed into a "i read articles and find things fascinating" sort of life, with our 2 year old daughter needing raising and Ej starting a medical career. One day i hope to return to school and persue degrees in the fields that interest me. Having a really hard time narrowing it down to even a major and a minor, lol.

Ej had a very similar upbringing, and admires them as well. For the last couple of years, hes worked maintenence jobs at town parks. In the summers, he would find and tell me about all these little cuties, like spring peepers and green frogs.

Even our daughter is fostering a love for anything aquatic. She adores our fish that we keep, our mystery tadpole, and our most recent addition, Oliver.

Weve been information gathering from a few internet sources over the last couple of weeks, specifically about axolotls, and got almost all of our immediately useful information for your site; we're glad to be a part of such an informative and active site.
Sorry, I know I sound like I'm speaking in a very 3rd person manner.
Glad to be here on behalf of myself, and Ej. (And little Oliver)

MarieKarma1311

Reaction score
Welcome to caudata and the forums, congratulations on your little guy Oliver. This is exactly the place for you guys with your huge passion for amphibians :happy:

Jazzy says yarr

Reaction score
Hello, hello! :)

Has your weather been just as whacky this past week? Its been a nightmare regulating the tank temp with these massive shifts on the island.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1