Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Necessity of replacing a deceased tank mate?

Jazzy says yarr

Reaction score
Concerning a breeding pair:

My Oliver was purchased from a pet store with a tank mate, whom she had been housed with "for a while", and i was told they were a successful breeding pair with previous spawns.

He passed about a little over a week ago, and im not sure if its necessary, for her sake as a social creature, to replace Artie with a new tank mate?

Im a little reluctant to do so, since we havent had her for more than a month, and were just starting to get everything into a stable routine were im comfortable that her health isnt at risk.

As far as their socially inclined nature goes, i did notice a change in olivers behaviour from the time we picked her up, went back the next day for artie, the week they spent together, and how shes been since shes been alone.

Is this something i should be concerned with? I know its been noted that they do just fine on their own, but if she was part of this pairing "for a while", would it be better to try and find her a new buddy? Or just let her hang out and be a solitairy water pupper?

There is no shortage of space for the addition, if we do find one. Its soley a matter of what is best for Olivers sake.

Thank you in advance for any advice on the matter,
I hope i put this in the right category

Last edited:

Jazzy says yarr

Reaction score
Was the change in behaviour purely because they were a breeding pair?
Has any one else noticed a strong difference in a similar situation with any of their breeding pairs? Is it something to be addressed immediately?

Sorry; the more i reread the post, the more i felt i had to rephrase my key questions.

Embarrassed,
Jazzy

Reaction score
IMHO, you do not need to replace the lost axolotl. When I have lost an axolotl, the others never seem to take notice. They tend to do fine as solitary critters.

I think your plan of letting everything stabilize before adding another one is excellent (or if you don't want to add another, solitary is fine).

Sorry you lost your new pet!!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!