Peculiar Female Behavior

Quille

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi there! New to this forum, so please bear with me.

I have had an accidental breeding and after many hours/days of research, I have decided to not remove the eggs and let nature take its course.

However, I have noticed my girl Haku hanging about the clutch, being very watchful and diligent in keeping the tankmates away from that end of the tank. Other than her watchfulness she is healthy and doing well. I have taken extra precaution to feed her well with an extra red wiggler or two, as long as she keeps it down and passes it with ease.

I haven't been able to find much in the way of axolotl behaviors and was curious if anyone has experienced something similar, or has an information on behavior patterns and not simply their basic biology.

Thanks for your time, any feedback is greatly appreciated!

You're asking a very tricky question there. Axolotls are like anything else, they have biology and they have unique behaviors. For example, there have been many accounts of axolotls being irritated or even afraid of bubbles from an AirStone or Airline. Personally I think this is extremely rare, and mostly occurs with young juveniles. My axolotls on the other hand don't mind bubbles whatsoever. In fact one of my females likes to play in the AirStone bubbles, swimming back and forth. Some axolotls are passive and some axolotls are bullies. It may be that she is indeed protecting her eggs, however I have never heard of an axolotl that was above eating their own eggs. I'm not sure if this post is helpful or even necessary, but that's my two cents. All my pets have always had unique personalities.

I also forgot to mention the most important thing. It is very important to separate the eggs from the parents. You don't have to remove the eggs but you have to remove one or the other (adults or eggs). Axolotls will not only eat Axolotl eggs but they will definitely eat Axolotl juvenile fry. But one more crucial Factor comes into play, the egg sack. Once those babies hatch that egg sack is not something you're going to want in your aquarium water because it will rot. I do not know what you meant by letting nature take its course, but without proper research you could be going down a path of destruction if not taken carefully. My recommendation to you is read all you can at this website Axolotls: The Fascinating Mexican Axolotl and the Tiger Salamander it is written and maintained by experts unlike myself. There you will get very credible information

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back