Best active salamander?

Cloppy

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I have a spare 10 gallon aquarium and I want to make a stream habitat with a community of salamander/frogs. I was wondering what would be best salamander for a display community stream habitat and be active?

If the current isn't too great I would say Tylototriton verrucosus. They're always on the move and aren't too big of a challenge. Read a lot about them before getting them though.

I know dart frogs are very active during the day, but need kind of small, live foods that can be hard to get in my opinion. But I also agree Niels D about his suggestion for newt/salamander.

I know dart frogs are very active during the day, but need kind of small, live foods that can be hard to get in my opinion. But I also agree Niels D about his suggestion for newt/salamander.
I own a number of dart frogs, and they certainly are very active throughout the day. They can be fed on just supplemented fruit flies, which may not be as convenient as dog or fish food but really isn't any more a hassle than how I feed my newts and sallies. I place a third agreement on Niel's newt choice.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back