What is a fair price for 3 inch gfp coppers?

puzzle

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am getting ready to put some gfp and non gfp copper babies up for sale here in Portland Oregon. And i am basically just looking for some advice on a reasonable price to sell these guys. They are 3 inches, eating chopped black worms, earth worm pieces, and crushed pellets.

I have had several people asking price on them already and i am just looking for some advice. Thanks!

I should think 10 to 15 dollars should be pretty fair. but don't take my word for it! go around to caudata or fauna or kingsnake classfieds and see what other people are pricing them at.

copper around 40.00 and gfp copper around 50.00

I got mine at $35. The larger they are, the more people ask for them. I think anywhere between $35-$45 for t hat size is fair.

man, the prices I had seen must they were not really copper axolotls lol

no baby axolotl should be more than $40 because they have a high death rate imo :/ its a ripoff....

IMHO you could easily get away with asking 30-50 dollars for gfp coppers. 10-15 is extremely low unless you just want to get the little guys out of your house!

The golden albinos I sold last year I got $20 apiece for, and coppers (not even including gfp) are a lot harder to come by than golden albinos.

With the high mortality comment, I have to disagree. I sold 20 about three inch babies last year, and all made it in their new homes.

Yes i also have to disagree with the low mortality rate. I am still in contact with all of my clients and everyone is happy and healthy with no issues at all. I usually sell babies when they are very well established and i always ask questions to make sure the new owners have covered all the basics.

So far i have heard a very wide range in price for coppers and i appreciate everyone's time and energy in leaving any comments. I am not concerned with money as much as wanting a fair deal for everyone involved.

I think everyone should be really careful when they want to try and make money off of axolotls. Especially if you're going to try and do it on this website. I understand that axolotls breed like crazy and we want to give every egg the best fighting chance it has to be a full grown adult. However when asking price comes up, remind yourself that there are breeders on this website like Bette, who can get you pretty much any Axolotl you want and any sex with very good stable genes. She sells her axolotls for a very reasonable price and they are very high-quality. In my opinion if your axolotls don't have strong pure genes and don't have desired qualities like long gills, strong color and pattern etc, then your axolotls deserve to be sold cheaper. It should not be about making money, it's about you selling the eggs or juveniles so they aren't wasted or even die. Unless your a real axolotl breeder why charge more than others do? Anyone can hatch 100 leucistic/wildtype babies. What about a clutch of stable genetics from parents with long pure blood lines? Surely those offspring will not only look better and be healthier, but will truly be worth more because of the extra time and work it takes to produce and axolotl of such high quality. I hope this doesn't come off as a long rant, but I live in Olympia Washington and my local pet shop sells axolotls regularly. Lately however they haven't been able to keep them in stock, the local breeders have had a problem with inbreeding. It seems that everyone was getting axolotls from the same source and the inbreeding caught up with them and death rates went through the roof. Anyone buying axolotls should ask where they came from. Anyone selling axolotls should advertise what they're selling. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with inbred Axolotls or axolotls with a lot of recessive genes. Just don't charge top dollar for them.

Reactions: sde
If you have a high death rate with juvenile axolotls it is most likely a husbandry issue.

Hey thanks Michael. It's been killing me trying to find info on axolotls genes, more so directed towards who passes "bad" genes. Idk what I'm looking for exactly just info explaining what diseases are common and uncommon and who typicaly passes them the mother or father. Also what it means when eggs are fertilized but then just stop developing mid larva. Are you saying you think my male maybe passed something on to the clutch that killed em? She is a wildtype but he is a purple. I have a funny feeling about his genes seeing how purple is kinda new to the axolotl world. Idk how Bette gets her axolotls purple and idk if that makes him a good breeding candidate or not. But he is the biggest male with the most personality and he really likes to leave spermatophores all over. Sorry for the sidebar. Maybe send me a link if you have good info on axolotl genetics and breeding.

I think everyone should be really careful when they want to try and make money off of axolotls. Especially if you're going to try and do it on this website. I understand that axolotls breed like crazy and we want to give every egg the best fighting chance it has to be a full grown adult. However when asking price comes up, remind yourself that there are breeders on this website like Bette, who can get you pretty much any Axolotl you want and any sex with very good stable genes. She sells her axolotls for a very reasonable price and they are very high-quality. In my opinion if your axolotls don't have strong pure genes and don't have desired qualities like long gills, strong color and pattern etc, then your axolotls deserve to be sold cheaper. It should not be about making money, it's about you selling the eggs or juveniles so they aren't wasted or even die. Unless your a real axolotl breeder why charge more than others do? Anyone can hatch 100 leucistic/wildtype babies. What about a clutch of stable genetics from parents with long pure blood lines? Surely those offspring will not only look better and be healthier, but will truly be worth more because of the extra time and work it takes to produce and axolotl of such high quality. I hope this doesn't come off as a long rant, but I live in Olympia Washington and my local pet shop sells axolotls regularly. Lately however they haven't been able to keep them in stock, the local breeders have had a problem with inbreeding. It seems that everyone was getting axolotls from the same source and the inbreeding caught up with them and death rates went through the roof. Anyone buying axolotls should ask where they came from. Anyone selling axolotls should advertise what they're selling. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with inbred Axolotls or axolotls with a lot of recessive genes. Just don't charge top dollar for them.

I agree with what you have said here, and i will also mention that i am personally not interested in selling any axolotls via this website. I have spent many years carefully selecting animals that are to my standards, as well as keeping full record of all blood lines and there will never be any inbreeding issues. I also breed in low quantity for the same reason that you have stated. I am not interested in being a "puppy mill" so to speak. This is a project that i have spent years developing with specific ideals in mind. And i raise babies in low numbers as to insure that they are top quality and are ideal as family pets as well as investment quality for breeders. This is something that i take a lot of pride in. And i will always be proud of each animal that is under my care. Thanks!

Just because you CAN sell an animal for a certain price doesn't mean you should. When people start selling for a significant profit is when the hobby goes downhill imo. People taking advantage of the ban (selling N. kaiseri eggs for $20 a piece? WTF?!) really got on me. Since this ban is in place we need to be helping our fellow hobbyists out so that they can enjoy the animals, rather than getting as much out of them as we can, since they have no other option.
Axolotls aren't on the ban though, but still. I've seen some people driving prices up and inventing "new morphs" to sell for extra. It's lame.
Just my 2 cents :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back