Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tiger Sal refusing to feed

RainCrow

Reaction score
I have an adult tiger salamander that I picked up at a local fish and reptile store. They don't generally carry any amphibians any more after the interstate ban, but this guy was brought in by a kid going off to college.
It's apparently about a year old, morphed sometime last summer they told me, but for having been morphed about 6 months he looks pretty small and has refused every worm I've given over the last week.
I've tried night crawlers and blood worms, even some really strong smelling newt pellets, but he won't even try to bite at stuff, he doesn't seem to have any prey drive at all.

Any suggestions for enticing foods? Temp change to encourage eating maybe? He's in a quarantine tub with damp paper towel bedding, hides and a water dish right now, temps hovering in the low 60's down to 58 at night.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Offer lots of live food, such as size appropriate earthworm, woodlice etc...and then leave alone for maybe a week...and then repeat. Juvenile tigers are sometimes quite shy with eating, but left alone will eventually become happier interacting with us

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!