Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Cheap ways to keep axolotl tank cool

Salina

Reaction score
Hi!

so i live in Australia and it's currently summer, i'm kind of having a hard time keeping my tank cool and the temp right now in the tank is early 20s which i know isn't exactly ideal. Do you guys have any cheap ways of keeping the tank cool? I do have a little desk fan pointing into the water by the way.

Skudo09

Reaction score
Fans over the water can help a little. You can also try to insulate the outside of the tank. Ice bottles are often used and it is a good idea to use dechlorinated water if using this method. However, ice bottles tend to melt fairly quickly and if not replaced often and regularly, the temperature fluctuations can cause more stress than a constant slightly high temperature. Ultimately, the best method is to invest in a chiller but I can understand they are expensive. Keeping them away from windows and direct sunlight and if you can try and open windows when it is cool to help let some cool air in whenever possible. Place the tank in the coolest part of the house.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!