Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Baby Axolotl questions please help

BrooklynD

Reaction score
Hello, new to this so not sure if this is where you ask questions?

But I have 2 baby axolotls and I'm worried if they end up being boy and girl. Will they breed? Will I end up having to get a tank divider? They won't breed before I can tell there gender will they?

I also was wondering how you can tell an axolotl is too skinny? I have a GFP axolotl and not sure he's eating too much.. he's skinnier than my other axolotl.. but that makes me think maybe the fatter one is just a girl since they're more chubby than males.. I don't know as you can see I need help, haha.

This is a lot of questions.. but I was going to get a 29/30 gallon for them when they get bigger is that okay? Right now they're in a 10 gallon cause they're each like 2 inches long. Thanks! :p

Kirzzin

Reaction score
You wont be able to tell until they are much bigger if they are male or female, you'll be able to tell when they've reached sexual maturity when their finger tips change color.
If you're worried about babies there isn't much you can do, a tank divider wont to anything because they don't mate like mammals. She will lay her eggs when the males send out their spermaphores into the water.
Easiest things to do is separate them, but I always fear they will be lonely, hahah so just collect the eggs when she lays them, put them in a plastic bag and put them in the freezer. It might sound mean, but it's a humane way of culling them and any crisis averted!

Rule of thumb is their bellies should be the size of their head, if they're only small I wouldn't worry too much about it unless they are sickly thin, but otherwise they're still growing and just feed them accordingly (I feed my juvies a few blood worms twice a day :) )

BrooklynD

Reaction score
You wont be able to tell until they are much bigger if they are male or female, you'll be able to tell when they've reached sexual maturity when their finger tips change color.
If you're worried about babies there isn't much you can do, a tank divider wont to anything because they don't mate like mammals. She will lay her eggs when the males send out their spermaphores into the water.
Easiest things to do is separate them, but I always fear they will be lonely, hahah so just collect the eggs when she lays them, put them in a plastic bag and put them in the freezer. It might sound mean, but it's a humane way of culling them and any crisis averted!

Rule of thumb is their bellies should be the size of their head, if they're only small I wouldn't worry too much about it unless they are sickly thin, but otherwise they're still growing and just feed them accordingly (I feed my juvies a few blood worms twice a day :) )

Thank you for the help! I can attatch a couple pictures just to make sure they aren't skinny.. but you said just freezing the eggs will get rid of them? What if I just throw them away in a bag? Sounds mean but I don't need any more axolotls lol

BrooklynD

Reaction score
Sorry for the double post but here's photos of them both. If u can see, ones skinnier than the other.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 296

BrooklynD

Reaction score
Still trying to learn how to attatch multiple photos haha sorry

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 212

Kirzzin

Reaction score
They look like a perfect weight to me! Very cute :)
And the freezing them kills them quickly before they start to develop, then you can throw them out after! Fingers crossed for you they are both males or females haha :)

Kirzzin

Reaction score
Sorry for the double post but here's photos of them both. If u can see, ones skinnier than the other.

This one doesn't look like it had any blood worms in its belly so I'm sure as long as she is eating than you should have no worries:happy:

BrooklynD

Reaction score
This one doesn't look like it had any blood worms in its belly so I'm sure as long as she is eating than you should have no worries:happy:

Yeah I feed them black worms. I noticed that he/she got a little more chubby as it ate :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1