Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New to axolotl keeping, got 2 rescues!

Aquakeeper

Reaction score
16864706_1425885827484432_5133612789864275305_n.jpg

hey! These are my two newest babies. Tangerine and clementine. Theyre rescues- i just got them two days ago. They had been in a critter keeper. What do you think of their gills? do they look healthy to you guys? Clementine at the front there’s gills concern me. they get along, i think they grew up together.

im new to axolotl keeping, but i have a couple years experience in general aquarium keeping.

im feeding them a mix of pellets, earth worms and blood worms. theyre eating really well, no problems with that at all.

i have an aquaclear 20 filter on there at the lowest setting with that airstone– its a 20g, do you think thats too much turbulence??

also what do you estimate their age to be?

Jazzy says yarr

Reaction score
Awww! They look like such sweeties :)
Congratulations on your sweet babies!

I could be wrong, but it looks like Clementine, the one in the front, is a waterdog? That would make it a juvenile tiger salamander, which would in turn contribute to the appearance of its gills.

But im also pretty new at this, so hopefully someone more experienced will let you know whats up :)

Good luck with your new water babies!

Aquakeeper

Reaction score
oh dear. you think so? That might be a problem, my mother has a thing against keeping a amphibians and reptiles in captivity by any means- she wasnt happy with these guys, but only allows them due to them being fully aquatic. Will she stay like an axolotl and most likely not morph?

Shed likely make me rehome any that go land-dwelling.

Wysper

Reaction score
In my opinion those are not axolotls and are instead both tiger salamander juveniles. They will eventually morph to land-dwelling.

Tiger salamanders are not aquatic. They will need a different enclosure, and a way to get out of the water for when they start to morph.

redfoxlove

Reaction score
I'm going to agree with everyone here, those do not look like axolotls to me. Hopefully you can get them suitable housing and can keep them! Keep us posted

Aquakeeper

Reaction score
Alright. im going to see what I can do. if i cant find proper enclosure, ill see if i cant rehome. This small experience though has kickstarted a love of salamanders. ill deff be looking to buy actual axolotls in the future <3

do you think they can stay in a fully aquatic tank for a little while while i set up something better for them?

EDIT: yeah she deff wont let me keep non aquatic amphibians. Shoot. Id rather rehome to someone on here, yall seem to know what youre doing. Im going to look around though for someone who knows what theyre doing locally first. Sucks because i JUST got them but i want to make sure they get good care.

The situation i got them in i was under the impression they were axolotls, and these people were threatening to release them into the wild if someone didnt take them. I was the only one there at the store at the time, and the store didnt carry amphibians by any means so they were refusing to take them. I guess even if this isnt their forever home, im helping them find it :)

Aquakeeper

Reaction score
Put an ad on Craigslist with a decently high adoption fee. Will see if anyone bites. And if they do, if they will provide adequate care!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1