Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sand in 1" baby Axolotl tank question

eklinds

Reaction score
After doing some further research, (which I admit I should have done before getting little Taco) I've learned that you should have no substrate in your tank until about 5". Currently we have him in a 20 gallon cycled tank with super fine sand- he is only about an inch, inch and half right now and just got his front legs- the back are just starting to bud. (pic under my name is recent for size reference) My question is, do you think we should get a smaller maybe 10 gallon with nothing on the bottom and transfer him there until he's bigger? We're already super attached to the little guy and I want to do what's best for him, or do you think he's ok on the sand if we monitor his feeding and add a bowl maybe?

thanks so much :)

Cloppy

Reaction score
I would move either take the sand out or move him to a bare-bottom 10 gallon. You do not have to move him to a 10 gallon, but most axie keepers start out this way for the larvae. Either way, I would take the sand out just because larvae tend to be messier eaters than adults, so I would not risk it.

eklinds

Reaction score
Ok, thanks so much Cloppy! We have a spare 10 gal laying around so i think i'll grab another filter and set that one up for him just to be safe :) and keep his 20gal cycling for when he's big enough for it. :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1