Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tiger salamanders?

Kilolotlkeeper

Reaction score
My lps got these guys in a couple weeks ago and we're obviously not taking proper care of them! They had heaters on in the water and the water flow was so powerful it hurt to look at. Now I don't know what species of salamander this is but I would like to! If anyone can help it would be great. I have very good experience from taking care of my axolotl Buddha. I have never transitioned a salamander from larvae to terrestrial however. Any advice is appreciated. I will ask more questions as more people respond. These salamanders obviously aren't axolotl as on of their gills beaches off.
a598072c1a3f110ff410e020efeb3432.jpg
2620efc709ad6595a1597ab1b726e45a.jpg
bd29ce1b4b1bc7b8c338cb6eaffb7faa.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cloppy

Reaction score
I am almost, but not completely sure, that that is a tiger salamander larva. You can keep and feed it like an axolotl for some time, but when its tailfin and gills starts to recede, you need to lower the water level to where it is only covers the salamander by a half inch or an inch. Then make a gradually sloping land area available and when you see out on the land, you can change it to a fully terrestrial tiger salamander setup. Here is a caresheet on tiger salamanders by John Clare, the founder of this forum. http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1173-...ium-spp-etc/108525-tiger-salamander-care.html

Reactions: sde

sde

Reaction score
Definitely a tiger larvae. As Cloppy said, keep it like a axolotl until metamorphosis. Hard to say how long until he morphs, but just keep an eye on him. Receding gills, tail fin, and bulging eyes are all signs of morphing. Great looking animal, by the way :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!