Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Bubbles under the gills

Melk9

Reaction score
My friends,

Today I realized that my leucistic has under the gills, both sides, two big bubbles. Does anybody can help me?

sickaxo-jpg--2

AF1QipMe8_AnWJFXMZfGmObvtT-dUXjQeUP5SHrM69-u

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
You can right click on the pictures to open. :D

I have never seen this before, so can't offer any treatment advice.
I think my first step would be to make sure the water quality is good and cool. I then would get veterinary advice.

E

Elise

I looks like fluid retention and it's shown up on these here before. However, I don't think I've ever read what can cause this.

You're going to have to take it to a vet to correct this by draining and possibly have the fluids tested. Here is an example post similar to yours which might be of some help:
http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...sick-axolotl-what-appears-fluid-build-up.html

I also included your picture in my reply so others can view it easier.

Attachments

• fluid.jpg
    fluid.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 165

Melk9

Reaction score
I looks like fluid retention and it's shown up on these here before. However, I don't think I've ever read what can cause this.

You're going to have to take it to a vet to correct this by draining and possibly have the fluids tested. Here is an example post similar to yours which might be of some help:
http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...sick-axolotl-what-appears-fluid-build-up.html

I also included your picture in my reply so others can view it easier.

Thank you, Elise and all the others. :happy:
I have been researching as well and I found the same problem happening with dart frogs. One of the guys said it was caused by the failure of the kidney or the liver, causing the no production of albumine and so the fluid retention.

I'll try to feed my two axies that developed this with little piece of egg white in their diet, to see if we can have a solution, since the egg white is rich in albumine.

Hugs,

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1