Illness/Sickness: Axolotl going cloudy white!

Staebae

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I need some advice. I bought an axie about a month ago. Since then his skin has been going almost cloudy White. I take out all his uneaten food etc every day and I change his water once a week (with little changes throughout the week too). Is he sick? Or is there anything I can do to get rid of the discolouration? I don't know what to do! :(

Attachments

• IMG_6930.PNG
    IMG_6930.PNG
    581.9 KB · Views: 348
  • IMG_6928.jpg
    IMG_6928.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 493
  • IMG_6927.jpg
    IMG_6927.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 307
It might be a fungal infection.
Treating Fungus (Salt Baths)

Fungus looks like cotton wool, fluffy, like the mold that grows on fruits. It can be fatal to an axolotl, especially if it envelops a large part of their body.
Fungus usually appears on a wound, such as if they get a foot bitten off, or a decent scratch. Here’s how to treat it!
Salt Baths!
Salt baths should be kept for only when you are certain it is fungus, as it can harm and stress your axie otherwise. To start with, try to gently remove some fungus with a cottonbud (qtip?) roll it against the fungus, gently, towards the axolotls body. If you roll against, it can pull, and tear the axolotl’s skin. It isn’t always easy to remove, so just try.
On to the salt baths

• Salt baths - Prepare a tub of fresh, dechlorinated water
  • Dissolve 2-3 teaspoons of non-iodized salt such as sea salt, fresh aquarium salt, kosher salt (do not use table salt!) per litre of water. Ensure that the salt is completely dissolved before putting the axolotl in the saltbath.
  • Leave axolotl in salt bath for 10 minutes, but no longer than 15 minutes as the salt will start to damage the axie’s skin and gills.... It could also be this: from photos of sick axolotls on caudata.org.
    white_skin.jpg
    White skin patches
Axolotl with white skin patches. The cause is unknown, but the owner believed it was not fungus, but a shedding problem or protozoan infection. The animal returned to normal after treatment with a tea bath (1 teabag/10 liters or 10 quarts water).

It looks like he has an unhappy slime coat. Perhaps do a few tea baths. You could also add almond leaves to your tank water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back