Cycling with Axoltol IN Tank

UnAxie

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello All!

New Axie mum here - I recently got an Axie and unfortunately did not cycle his tank long enough; I was very under educated in tank cycling :( It cycled for 3 days without him (jumpstarted with Tetra Safe Start, and media from my already established freshwater tank (which was not cycled either but somehow is okay)

He is in a 20 gallon long tank with a Fluval filter, fake plants, and sand.

I have been doing water changes daily and testing water daily.

Today the readings were:

pH: 7.0-7.2
Ammonia: 0.25 ppm
Nitrate: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm

I am confused about how long I need to do daily water changes for, and how will I know when the tank is fully cycled? I would prefer not to take him out - he has been doing fine, eating, swimming, defecating etc.

Please help - I goofed!

Thank You

It is fine, your nitrates and nitrites are at 0ppm, so watch for ammonia spikes and your axolotl will be fine.

Fish-in cycling means a lot of water changes to keep the water good enough for axies, while allowing the ammonia to feed the good bacteria. it's a delicate balance, but as long as you're willing to do the work it's not difficult. Just ensure you test daily and change enough water to keep the ammonia and nitrites down to under 0.25ppm.
You'll know when your cycle is done because you will no longer see ammonia and nitrites and your nitrates will rise significantly. The maximum safe level for nitrates is 40ppm, so change water as needed.

Thank you so much for all your feedback! I will make sure to continue monitoring the water parameters! He seems to be doing good so far! I love him/her!

Similar question. My water straight out of the tap tests at a 1.0ppm for ammonia, 0 nitrates, 0 nitrites, 7.6pH with the API master test kit. Am I doomed?

I would treat the water before putting it in the tank ammonia treatments are readily available online. And being that high I wouldn't risk not treating it.

Okay. I do have Seachem's Prime and I have been treating the water with that. I'm just not sure it's equipped to take down such a high reading. I bought spring water and tested it. One brand was 0ppm and the other was 0.25ppm for ammonia. So I'm thinking I could theoretically either fill my 20gallon completely with the bottled water and use it for water changes or just dilute the tap down with it. Thing is the hardness from my tap is better than the hardness of the spring so that's why dilution might be a good bet.

In the meantime my axolotl has been in a temporary tub with dechlorinated spring water and daily 100% water changes. Any insight?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back