Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New baby axolotl

mike bevis

Reaction score
Hello, my name is Michael and I got a baby golden axolotl for my birthday a few weeks ago, and I have recently trained it ( as Cam is a baby, we don't know its gender yet) to at out of a bowl instead of syringe feeding it. last week I put its food ( frozen blood worms) in its bowl, and it waited for me to look at it. when I did, Cam started eating instantly, looking at me every few seconds, and it seemed like it was proud, trying to show me that it learnt how to eat out the bowl, and I'm wondering if:
1) it recognises that I am looking after it.
2) axolotls can feel pride and happiness and other emotions like that.
3) is it normal for an axolotl to learn to bowl feed after only a week.
4) do axolotls bond with their owners.
thanks for reading this and I hope someone can help

Kilolotlkeeper

Reaction score
I believe my axolotl knows who I am, I don't believe she tries to make me or herself happy I think it's just natural behavior. Axolotls are naturally curious however and very smart. Changing your decorations around every once in a while helps to keep them interested in their environment. To sum up your questions, yes it does recognize you and may get excited at the site of you because you are associated with food, they feel curiosity and probably excitement, the bond they form is most likely more of a bond associated with food

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1