Axo rescue, help please?

SallySalamanda

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi everyone,
After a 4 year long dry spell from axotl word after I lost my girl, today I have aquired a new member of the family, a resuce from a local buy swap sell page. The poor guy or girl has been living in a VERY small tank (less than 30L) triangle shaped tank (unable to turn a full 360 with out a bent tail or bumping head) - with gravel substrate in tank. He/she appears to be very thin and I am sure that he has had some gravel in the gut and lacking vitamins, as his former owner has feed her only "feeder fish" from the local pet shop, even then i am suspisious that they were added to the tank for 'for show" upon pick up. I would like some advise please on how to treat this little tresure with repect and to give it the best shot. I am comfortable with a healthy axo but I am feeling a bit lost where to start with this one. Thanks :)

My suggestion is to start with cold clean dechlorinated water, and a larger floor space, with barebottom. And lots of earthworms (nightcrawlers) that she/he will eat.

Care, patience and attention will help her/him recover quickly. Just be attentive and keep the water clear and well fed.

Food and clean water goes a long way in helping the little one's recover on their own.

Good luck on your special little guy/girl!

:)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back