Colours

Kiyiya

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For fear of sounding really stupid can someone please try to explain to me in as simple terms as possible how colour classifications work?

I'm so confused, I get that its classed as an albino if it has white eyes even if they have colour and that leustic (prob spelt wrong) is basically pink and wyldtype is speckled brownish variations but...

What about melanoid? I first thought this mean't black but have then seen melanoid in grey and speckled etc. I believe it has something to do with the eye rings so if it lacks the shiny ring its a melanoid? Does that mean any colour can technically be a melanoid?

What does iridophore mean? And axanthic?

Sorry if this seems silly but I'm struggling to find clear information and I'm really curious!

lol, I am not an expert either on genetics and morphs. but you can do what Ryan said, and/or you could just google axolotl genes. And, ''albinos'' with black eyes are leutistic

Albino is a lack of black pigment.
Melanoid is an absence of shiney pigment
Axanthic (purple) is lack of yellow pigment
leucisitc is not a colour itself, rather a distribution pattern where pigment is limited to eyes face and sometimes spine.
Copper is an alteration of black pigment to red/orange.

And these can be combined, so a melanoid albino has no shiney pigments or black pigments - leaving a pink/yellow animal with pale eyes.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back