Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tank Advice

CaptainGunnar

Reaction score
Hello! I am going to start setting up a tank to get my first axolotl, but I need help with what I am supposed to do! For just one in a tank how big should it be and what do I need? Are there any guides or anything that someone could reference me to?

CaptainGunnar

Reaction score
So 10 would be sufficient, but 20 would be a lot better? Also what does it mean to cycle a tank, is there somewhere I can read about that?

But thanks for answering by the way!

CaptainGunnar

Reaction score
Thanks for the links! I read them and I think I understand it now!
But a few questions if you have the time
Once your tank is cycled and you do the water change then add the fish(in this case the axolotl) do you still need to add 1 ppm everyday or do you just let it do it's thing?
Also once your tank is cycled and you add the axolotl, do you need to worry about anything else or will the tank stay cycled?
Lastly, do you recommend live plants or artificial?

Cloppy

Reaction score
You see, when your tank is fully cycled, it means the nitrifying bacteria colony has been established on the substrate and filter. So unless you change the substrate or do a 100% water change, your tank will remain cycled.

Cloppy

Reaction score
As for the plants, fake plants do not need trimming, and you do not have to pick up dead leaves. But live plants look better, and they oxygenate the water.

CaptainGunnar

Reaction score
Thanks!

I am starting to compile a list of all of the things I need to setup my tank and start preparing. So once the tank is cycled and the axol is in then you don't need to add ammonia any longer correct? And it will stay cycled unless there is drastic change in water replacing or pH?

Also I think I am going to do some live plants and some fake then!
Lastly do you have advice for a substrate on the bottom? I read that play sand works well but do you have any advice?

Cloppy

Reaction score
It depends on how old your axolotl is. i would not put small juvenile on any substrate because it might get impacted. But adults will do fine on play sand.:happy:

CaptainGunnar

Reaction score
So like maybe once it gets a little bit older, I could add some play sand in for it? :)
Thanks for replying and helping by the way!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1