Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

HOW do you feed your axolotl?

Aaliyahsutton

Reaction score
Do you just dump some worms in the tank or hand feed them? I've tried dumping food in tank but because I've got sand and large rocks the food gets stuck and I'm too scared to hand feed them because I have a reallly greedy and feisty axolotl he'll prolly end up chewing my whole finger lol.
I have two juvenile axolotl and I take my axolotl out everyday or every other day ( depending on how busy I am, I sometimes I feed them every other day I know That's cruel but I doubt they eat everyday in the wild so eh whatever) I put them in a plastic box put food in there and leave it for an hour so any food they don't eat can be taken out easily, but now I'm finding this difficult cus my axolotl are growing it's very hard to take them out with a fish net because they fidget so much I always get scared they migh jump out of the net as I'm trying to take them out.
Also is it okay to take them out every single day to feed them? Any other ways I could feed them??? ( i think I've added a photo of the box I put them in, is it okay?)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 563

AxolotlWaddle

Reaction score
This is my first post but here are some ideas!
Use a small dish (something water safe, I like glass) the small Pyrex glass dishes or something similar, that is what I use in my sand/rock tank. This is nice because it is less messy and you can see how much food is consumed very easily.

Use a turkey baster, this doesn't always work for pellets, but you can put your other food items in a small dish of water, suck up the foods with turkey baster, squeeze the food into your tank/feeding are with turkey baster. This keeps food from going all over the place and this is a great alternative to direct hand feeding if you are skiddish.

You can also use tongs for worms but they, once again, don't really work for pellets.

As far as taking your axie out every day to feed...I have had to do this with babies to feed them brine shrimp, however, I don't usually use a fish net. If you want an easier way to transfer your axie, try using a cup/container to scoop them out. This way they never have to leave the water and it seems to be less stressful.
Sorry for the long reply, if you have any questions or any of that seems confusing let me know. There are always other ways though, people come up with some really creative ideas when it comes to these little guys.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Cloppy

Reaction score
Just drop a worm in the tank. lol Usually they will rip it to shreds. (Ok, you know what I mean)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1