Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Red salamander won't eat.

Cloppy

Reaction score
So I have him setup with a 10 gallon tank with gently flowing cold water and lots of moss, but We will not eat. I put small earthworms in front of him, and he is not interested in them. He just waddles away or keeps going about his burrowing. He will stare at them but there is no feeding response.

Aron1234

Reaction score
Throw in some small crickets and isopods I'm sure it'll find them. I have one in a ten gallon that's all water with a sponge filter and I feed him earthworms and I get an amazing feeding response

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

sde

Reaction score
That's one of the problems with collecting animals, it takes extra effort to acclimate them to captivity. Give him some time, let him settle in, and try again. Also, leave some food in the tank right before you turn his lights off for the night, he may eat them overnight.

Sith the turtle

Reaction score
I also advise having him in a darker room, and having you leave whenever you feed him, so he doesn't have a "giant predator" glaring him down when he attempts to find food. Also, worth asking, are the earthworms too large for him? And are they the "red wiggler" worms? Red wigglers, if you did get them, release a horrible yellow fluid that makes them inedible to all but the most stubborn, hungry, or inexperienced animals. Canadian night-crawlers are the better worm, as they're nutritious and don't have any defense mechanisms like that

Cloppy

Reaction score
No, they are not red wrigglers. And also about 10 isopods and 2 earthworms seem to have disappeared in the last 2 days so he might be eating them.

AdvythAF

Reaction score
You could try other types of foods. In the wild, caudates have a very, very diverse menu. Maybe try some beetles, roaches, or termites? (depends on how large the animal is)

juliesr

Reaction score
What temperature are you keeping him at? How much water? What kind of land portion? A 10 gallon for a recently caught animal is pretty small and hard to keep parameters in check. I would suggest no smaller than a 20-gallon long aquarium and replicate the environment you took him from starting with water quality and temperatures. If you can't replicate his environment than I would suggest not keeping him.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!